Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Five point someone

This is my first attempt at book review. More than review it is an insight and the memories it bought back for me.

When I picked up the book it was for the buzz it had generated more than anything else. I was pleasantly surprised when I couldn't put the book down. I completed in in 1 weekend. It is a rare accomplishment these days, thanks to my kids.

The book is a light-hearted narrative about the life of three average guys at the Indian Institute of Technology . Stark and poignant points abt the current educational system bought out in a humorous satarical fashion....is what make the book a big hit.

The book starts with a disclaimer "This book is about what not to do at IIT". That is enought to get you started on the fun rollercoaster ride. For most of us who have gone thru the edu system in India, know for a fact that IIT'ians are held in the highest pedestal possible. My closest and only association with IIT, was venturing to write the entrance exam with no preparation whatsoever. Yup!! it was a day and age when parents wanted you to gain experience by taking the exam. I tried to reason that people prepare for years and tried citing waste of money...but all to fall in deaf ears. According to me even understanding the questions would need years of toiling so the 2 hours I spent in the exam hall, only I know. That was a sidetrack on my asso. with IIT.

Getting back to the book. The book is about 3 below average students Hari, Alok and Ryan. Thanks to the GPA system, their already below the mark scores are made to look even worse. The GPA's are a curse or a boon I'm not here to comment. But let's just say the peer pressure, memorization, bureaucracry, being slotted does take the fun out of learning and does get to you!!

So it did for the 3 characters who were slapped with the lowest GPA's after the very
first assignment, only to be pushed into a bottomless pit of woes. Thus, started their 4 years of adventure at IIT and trying to beat the system, work around the system, or just survive it.The author has managed to etch out 3 exceptional characters in this book.

Alok --> with a lot of responsibilities to shoulder, his main aim is to get thru IIT
with flying colours and land a well paying job. He potrays the stereotypical, obedient son who could cry at the drop of a hat(ha ha that part was fun and well exagerated). All that was until he met Hari and Ryan.

Ryan --> Rebel with a cause. often there is one category of people who would question anything and everything and waiting to break the rules. Ryan is just that.

Hari --> somewhere in between the 2 extremes. Can be easily swayed to fit in either categories. He is potrayed to be pretty much neutral throughour the book. But then again it is his narrative. I think of the 3 characters I would relate to Hari's character the most. While I try to do the right things in the right space and time....there is a rebelious streak in me which wants me to just get out of the mold and have fun.

The book for me brought back so many memories. The friendship's....the kind of buddies you only find in college(your partners in crime), going through crushes, the adrenaline rush you get the night before the exams. the flutter of activities and the buzz during assignments....photocopying notes.....and so many more.

No comments: