Thursday, April 24, 2008

IPL Frenzy!!!

IPL is the toast of the town and why not....with all the buzz it has generated be it the merchandising/music/brand ambassadors/international players all in one package.

I think I myself, not being a sports enthusiast have started following cricket, more for the buzz factor than anything else. I'm just amazed at how much of the western influence has rubbed on on the good 'ol game of cricket, with franchising coming into play.

I used to have this discussion with V, abt sports in US and very plainly ask so how come xyz who belongs to state A or the west coast play for the east coast team...or soccer players traded off to a whole other country...how does it work!! It boils down to its all abt the moolah!!that was the discussion back then...but now I'm getting to see it being done on a much larger scale. With the nations bigwigs getting into the action, we are now being treated to a complete entertainment fest. With the likes of Mukesh Ambani, Vijay Mallya,priety zinta and Shahrukh you can't expect anything less.

One thing that struck me though I used to tell V that ppl in the US dont have the patience for long drawn sports(much like me) thats why cricket is not their cup of tea. As it turns out the 5 days soon gave way to the ODI to be replaced by 20-20. Much like the basketball matches are also watched intently for the halftime shows....the trend continues here too with music scores being composed and star brand ambassadors adding the glamour quotient. No one cares if the game is won or lost.

Another thing is abt the teams(rather the investors) bidding for team players. It almost looks like if A doesn't have the money the player gets purchased by B. The sheer magnitude of money being dished out has attracted some of the top international players to try their hands. so we have ganguly playing along side ponting or dhoni playing along side hayden.
It makes me wonder is India extremely cash rich when it comes to cricket....it is almost leaving all other sports in the the "Indian Poverty league"

I'm also not sure how this all effects the team psychie to be playing against each other and then play together during the ICC. The positive side of the IPL's as I see is each country can learn and benefit from the other countries skill, past experience and emerge as better teams.

Sure to say the 44 day event has lots to offer for a cricket frenzy nation. All we have to do is sit back and be treated to a paisa vasool show.

Its sad I dont get the IPL matches here. No guesses here...I'm rooting for the "Chennai super kings".

No comments: