Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Rewind 10 years...

Laksh's blog http://www.lakshmusings.com/musings/2008/07/16/living-my-dream/ bought me out of hibernation and gave me some fodder for thought.

Lets see 10 years back where was I
Having passed out of college in 1997, and secured a decent scholarship-job immdly thereafter. In 1998 I must have been at an all time high. Missing home, at the same time enjoying the new found independence. Forging new frienships and exploring places. My career was going great guns and I was parallely working towards an MS. So all in all I couldn't have asked for more. It was a carefree life with no responsibilities to shoulder. I enjoyed working till dead end of the day, as work was my life back then. Weekends would be the time to catch up with friends, movies, MS classes.

Aspirations...back then
10 years back, I would have wanted to be successful in my career. Maybe persue an MBA down the lane. I always wanted to visit the UK/US on project assignments( just to see what was the big deal, back then). But never for once thought of settling down outside India. I never gave much thought to marriage/kids back then, as I knew it would happen when the time comes. I always wanted to remain close to my family and still have that aspiration. Wanted to buy a beautiful house.

present
Got married in 2002, and settled down in sunny CA. One of my dreams of visiting the US were getting realised while another dream of successful career eluded me for a long time. Still, I was enjoying my new life settling down with a loving hubby and having a great set of friends for company. After a long Haitus, I re-started my career with consulting. Was enjoying it for a while, when pregnancy struck. It was all well planned, in the sense I hoped to have a kid after 2 years of marriage. What I didnt plan was having twins. It took us by a complete surprise. Since then, it has been a roller-coaster ride. It has been fun/stressful/exciting/challanging 3+ years and I'm sure it will continue to remain so. A lot of my dreams/aspirations now circle around my kids/family. Even though I do have a job to get to, I would call myself more of a homemaker than a career woman. Careerwise, sometimes i'm working, sometimes on a break, but it doesn't seem to bother me.

Looking back I can say I enjoyed the life I had 10 years back and I'm enjoying the current phase to the hilt. I wouldn't trade one for the other.

10 years down the lane, I hope we continue to enjoy good health and happiness in the company of friends and family. Oh yes, by then I hope we settle down in India for good. My kids would be teenagers by then, I hope not to re-live any scary teenage stories. Or rather god give me enough patience and maturity in handling them. would be in 40's by then and hitting a mid-life crisis, Hope to successfuly sail thru it.

5 comments:

Laksh said...

Very interesting. Looks like all of us had similar aspirations. Here's hoping to look back a decade from now and feel exactly the way we do now. Happy and not wanting to trade one for another.

Manchus said...

Wow!! Is it you Arch*** from WASE 97 batch?

Nice to come across your blog from Laksh's blog. How are your kiddos doing?

Random thots said...

Laksh - Thanks for your comments. Can't imagine life at 40!! True and scary but it will also hit us b4 we realise it.

Manchus - Yes mam same person. Congrats on the baby!! How're you managing? kiddos are doing ok.

nourish-n-cherish said...

Hmm...that was interesting food for thought! I was just thinking that it has been exactly one decade since I started working this month!

Unknown said...

Arch!

Like Manchus said is it it you ?? How are the kids doing? Contact me!!! :-)

Lakshmi