Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial day and the sale

This memorial day I was itching to check out atleast 1 sale as I hadn't been to a store during sale time for a really long time. I'm not too bitten by the sale-bug, as in the US you have a sale for every small rhyme and reason. In fact every week there is a sale in some xyz store.

Last 2 weeks I was seeing the close-out sale at Mervyns. Mervyns not being top on my list I just ignored the initial pangs. The third week...my better half suggested maybe I should check out the sale and see if I find something for myself. Last couple of years
most of my shopping ends up with accumulating more and more junk for my kids. One of my kids wanted to tag along esp the fussier of the kids wanted to tag along. That should
have spelt disaster as it very often happens and I end up buying things I never intended.

So my plan was to avoid the kids section and head in a different direction. Since most
shops have the women's section right in front so I thought the plan would work.

Enter Mervyns and the first thing I see is hordes of kids clothes and nothing cheap as advertised. To myself "They really know their target audience" I think 30-60% is a gimmick as most thinngs end up at the upper limit. whatever, it worked well enough to get me in.

My daughter who has the weirdest dress sense for a 3 year old, rushes in and starts picking up the most outrageous dresses and all the wrong sizes. By now we have already spent a considerable amount of time and not got anything done. so I pick up a saner costume even if it means having to spend extra bucks, to dissuade my girl from what she had initially picked. couple of things later I head to the billing counter to see a huge tab.

Worst of all I tried to see if my Mervyns card fetched further discount, only to know I can only use it to add points. That dumb card hasn't been worth a single discount and only adds to the weight in my purse.

Just when I'm getting out of the store I see a small sign in the most obscure places telling me "Close out sale. We are moving to a new location opposite the road". To myself "ok so it is really not a close-out sale in the real sense of the word. and I'm 83bucks shorter with things none the cheaper and dresses my kids could have easily done without"

So much for the great memorial day sale!!

No comments: