Friday, May 30, 2008

The tussle for remote

I guess in most households the tussle for the remote is among the couples. My home has to be an exception to the rule. For the last 6 years, I have been ruling the roost here, with hubby relegated to the background, where remote is concerned. In my defense, it is not as bad as made out, my hubby is least interested in spending time in front of the idiot box(quite unlike me). So that left me to spend time with the remote.

Even after my kids entered the scene, I did not once relinquish control. Which worked well, considering the disaster of handing over the remote to a 3 year old. The way it is been working is, the TV would incessantly play the kids program but the controls would be in my hands. All that changed suddenly this week, when 1 of my kiddos(M) innocently asks me “Can I please try pressing the button once. I will be very careful” How can you ignore such cute requests. My maternal instincts gave in and I taught her how to use the pause and play button. Oh!! the joys of discovery…seen in kids eyes are really worth dying for. The remote was her next fiddling toy for the next 30 mins or so, very carefully pressing the pause and play and in-turn not letting anyone watch anything in continuity.

This is when her sibling(T) who had been devoid of all the attention up until now, interjected “It is my turn now” After a flow of “No its mine…its mine” followed…..
(I’m just so accustomed to it by now. Its almost like music to my ears) T-> why cant we have 2 remotes(just like everything else is in two’s) My response -> When will you learn to share(lectured for the 1000th time) M -> “but its mine….mummy made me in-charge of it”. You see how the humble requests suddenly turn to control.
Me -> ok that’s enough. Nobody gets the remote except me.

Finally managed to get control of the remote(it feels so good to have it back in my hands). Today’s jobs done…tomo is yet another day and now remote is added to the list of tussle’s.

No comments: