Monday, March 24, 2008

Follow the line...

In Mumbai, they say you dont have to do much to get from 1 point to another. The crowd pulls you along. Such is the mechanical and fast pace of life. Though I haven't been a witness to that, but my commute in public transport here, reminds me of just that.

Taking the BART for the first time. I wasn't sure what to expect. I decided to have an early start to beat the crowd. I arrive promptly at 7:30am only to find more than half the parking lot full. With instructions from V that if I need directions on what to do or where to get off just ask....I marched ahead having parked my car half a mile away.

With clear instruction on ticket purchase its easy breezy.Anyway I had to disembark at embarcedero(guess that rhymes). so I sat patiently studying the map and listening to the announcements. which I later felt was a waste of effort. Come my station and bulk of the train offloaded. And I soon realised all you have to do is move along, and this huge crowd just takes you along and deposits you right outside the building. It is almost like a well practised routine. Get out of the train, dont look left or right just follow the trail and head to the escalator.If you need to take the stairs take a quick cut in the line to avoid glares walk non stop.when you are in the stairs, mind you there is no time to puff pant and heave. you made the decision 2 mins ago and now there is no choice but to walk and walk fast and get out. if you are on the escalator pre-determine ur speed. slow coaches on the left lane would be subject to glares and occasional cussing.

Once you are out of the escalator-stair madness, head straight to punch ur tickets out. No fumbling for tickets or pleading ignorance. Just punch and go, almost like an assembly line.There is no time for thinking/observing people. The maximum I can ponder to see is the coat and shoes.

Six months of practising the routine and I can say I'm now completely sucked in by the system.I'm a pro, as I proudly tell V.

No comments: