Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Going Green...

I have been often enthused abt gardening. But never dared to attempt due to lack of time/interest/space. I wasn't motivated enough.
When we bought a house with a backyard, I immediately envisioned myself toiling in the garden and a garden full of veggies and fruits.
Its going to be almost a year and there hasn't been much progress on that except what was originally left behind.
To my defense I did try my hand at gardening last summer....only to realise that was the wrong season to start esp if you are planting veg/fruits. I also realized how little knowledge I had of the new trade I was taking up. After a lot of rheotoric question which at times pissed off the guys at OSH I picked up some new terms/terminology. For instance I learnt spade/trovel/shovel are all not interchangable. My first attempt at gardening was planting a rose(shrub/bush) and another one. I decided on a shrub instead of a rose treeas it weas more cost effective. Thought to myself I should start with something smalland less expensive. turned out to be a bad idea. 1 plant is dead and the other refuses to flower.
This spring I decided to have a head start into gardening. So the last weekendas a priority I visited OSH and picked up a few tomatoes, herbs and cucumberafter some litrature reading I concluded my chioces were the best.
I have managed to plant the tomatoes so far. Hoping to get the others planted/potted before the end of this week. Just keeping my fingers crossed that my luck is better this time.

No comments: